Posted by Dating Guru
on March 10, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Congratulations, you’ve got yourself a date. Since you’ve gotten yourself this far, it’s safe to assume you won’t screw it up too badly, right? Well, getting the date is the just beginning, the hard part is what you do while you’re on it. Granted, if you have manners, you’re well rounded, intelligent, a rapt conversationalist and not too rude you might score a second. Or… you might not.
Here are some pointers for what not to do on a first date. Take note, because while you’re sweating your way through the appetizer course, that little voice inside your head is right, they are judging you. Avoid being one of these:
1. The Narcissist: So your parents are wealthy, you have a home in the Maldives, you made straight A’s, you were a star rugby player in prep school and you know P. Diddy? Awesome. Since you’ve got so many fab talents, perhaps it’s time to learn about your date. Talk then listen. That’s what sharing is all about.
2. The Chronic Over-sharer: No one is less interested in how your Great-Uncle Herbie’s tumor is getting along, least of all your date. Keep the medical history to a minimum until at least the 12th date when pickings are slim. Unless they’re a doctor of course.
3. The OCD Phone Checker: So you updated your Facebook Status, checked in on Foursquare, Tweeted your location, Yelped the restaurant you’re sitting in and you’re still texting. Put the phone down. The only person you really need to be focused on now is right in front of you.
4. The Bimbo: Tuna: is it chicken or is it fish? I’m putting it out there, because shocking as it may seem to most, this happens more often than not. Pretending you don’t know anything about Milton and the philosophical theories behind Paradise Lost, when you actually majored in English Lit is just dumb. Embrace your inner nerd. Brains are sexy, stupid is not.
5. The Cheapskate: Yes, you really did forget your wallet, on purpose. Guess you won’t be paying for dinner so let’s hope your date hasn’t pulled the same trick. If dinner really was that terrible, it’s your call to split the bill, pay for it all or just dine and dash… though we can’t officially recommend the last option.
There you are lovers and friends… 5 people NOT to be on your first date. Stray far from this list and if you’re lucky, you just might score a second.